According to Google, as of July 27, 2020: In the video below, Martin Splitt (Developer Advocate, Google) and Eric Enge (General Manager of Digital, Perficient) discuss the most common SEO questions and myths around page speed.
- Contrary to popular belief, page speed is not the most important ranking factor.
- Content is still king over page speed - be careful not to sacrifice valuable content for enhanced speed.
- Improved page speed won't have a direct impact on your website's search ranking or positioning.
- The goal of better page speed is primarily to improve user engagement and conversions.
- Lazy loading and caching is very important.
- Pre-sizing your images is beneficial for optimizing load speeds.
- The device and connection used to access your website is a variable that can impact page speed.
- Evaluating Page Experience → https://goo.gle/2ZOnBd3
- Why Performance Matters → https://goo.gle/3hmaHJh
- Mobile Page Speed - Industry Benchmarks → https://goo.gle/3joze29
- Lazy Loading → https://goo.gle/30wEGYh
- Lighthouse → https://goo.gle/3jqspgD
- Chrome User Experience Report → https://goo.gle/2WHxLdP
- Progressive Web Apps → https://goo.gle/3fQ95XQ